What if a fire occurred at your trucking company, causing destruction to your vehicles, property, and more? Not only do you need a comprehensive truck insurance plan from Wolpert Insurance, but also an understanding of what precautions to take in order to prevent such a disaster in the first place. Unfortunately, one local company was ignited with damages and losses due to a blaze.
According to the Martha’s Vineyard Times, Carroll’s Trucking of Shrewsbury suffered from severe damages due to a fire caused by a boat parked behind the company. As workers were demolishing the watercraft, it set off a blaze, which damaged a boat nearby and a truck.
The employees were using an excavator to break up the fiberglass boat when a spark ignited gas inside the fuel tank. This resulted in a fiberglass fire, producing thick, heavy, toxic smoke. The tractor trailer truck that was destroyed contained lumber and railroad ties, heightening the fire. Luckily, there were no injuries, but the fire was difficult to put out since the sole fire hydrant was located far away from the scene.
Has your trucking company taken the necessary preparations to prevent such an incident from occurring? Here are some tips to ensure the safety of your business, equipment, and employees:
- Create an emergency fire plan which includes a communication system to alert employees of a fire, explains evacuation routes, extinguisher usage, and prevention controls.
- Regularly review the plan to ensure everyone understands it and can execute it correctly.
- Inspect your facility for fire hazards and if risks are discovered, correct them immediately.
- Install a building sprinkler system and test it on a regular basis.
- Place the appropriate number of fire extinguishers around the facility and in each truck.
- Enforce a “no smoking” policy on the premises and while driving for your employees to reduce the risk of fires.
- Keep your trucks on a maintenance schedule so equipment can operate safely.
Remember, if a fire does occur within your trucking company, contact the fire department immediately. Once the blaze has died down, it is a good idea to give one of our agents at Wolpert Insurance a call. We can guide you through the process of moving forward from such an accident. No matter how small or large the damages may be to your property, the losses will be covered with one of our reliable solutions. Trust us to protect you no matter what happens.